Monday, December 15, 2008

Is it a stranger in need, or a moment of opportunity?

How many times have you seen some one that could possibly use a hand, but just keep on your way thinking "They'll be ok". Sadly, I've done it many times... either it wasn't convenient timing, or I saw them too late, etc. But how could our help affect those people who need it? To consider that you have the power to give someone hope or happiness, just by offering a hand is pretty amazing.

Below are acts from two thoughtful people who stopped to help....

I helped a lady who was broken down during a rain storm.

Yesterday, I was driving to the location where I volunteer for WINGS (an organization that provides assistance to woman and children who are victims of domestic violence and/or homelessness). Anyway, I was driving round a corner and I noticed an elderly couple in their garage/driveway. The husband was sitting on the ground in a crumpled sort of way and the wife was trying to help him get up by bringing him a chair to use to pull himself up. I stopped and asked if they were okay and if they needed some help. They declined. They looked like they could be successful, so I slowly drove on. Something told me to stop and wait and see. I stopped a house or two down so that I could observe if he was able to right himself. When it looked like they really did need help I turned around and went back. As I got out of my car, their neighbor, who had just arrived home, came over and between the two of us we were able to pull the poor old guy up and get him into a chair. Of course I had to tease the old guy a bit about being more careful the next time he was running around after his wife. Funny, because his walker was right there. Evey one laughed a little and the upsetting situation was diffused. Both couple and neighbor were grateful that I stopped. I felt good about myself too, for stopping and then having the foresight to stop and observe the situation further and then turn around and go back to help. It was a simple thing to do. But, I wondered how many people had driven past them before I stopped. I spent the rest of the day helping the kids in the WINGS program pick out free Halloween costumes. So, it was a good day for me. I was rewarded with absolutely beautiful, unseasonably warm weather so that I could drive around with the top down on my car for one more time this year.

No comments:

web site tracking stats
Tiger Direct